CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Lizzie's Birth Story

This is the amazing birth story written by my dear friend and doula, Natalie Terry. I am so thankful for her involvement in not only my pregnancy, and Lizzie's birth, but as my good friend! This birth story is one of the many wonderful benefits of having a doula, there's no way I could have remembered all these amazing details!

"Sweet little Lizzie, you changed not only your mom and dad's lives when you were born, you changed mine as well in so many different ways. I remember when I found out your mom was pregnant with you. She was still grieving the loss of your beautiful brother Hunter. She posted on Facebook that she was expecting you in August. I had just started my doula journey and wanted to help your mom have a healthy and happy birth outcome. Your mom hired me to be her doula and I was able to learn everything I could about your mom, dad, and big brother Hunter. I learned that your mom had an incompetent cervix, which means she was unable to be pregnant without having to have a little stitch inserted into her cervix to keep you safe inside her womb until you were to be born. I also spend a lot of time with your mom deciding what type of birth she wanted. Our goal was never to have an un-medicated birth, even though she did want to go as long as possible. She just wanted a healthy and happy baby when all was said and done. We continued to talk almost daily about you and how well you were growing inside your mom. We went through a lot of ups and downs worrying about the cyst you had inside your body. We didn't find out where it was located until after you were born and your mom and dad dealt with the new wonderfully. A few weeks after your mom had her stitch removed she continued to see her wonderful doctor, Dr. Porter. He cared about your mom and your dad more than any other doctor has cared for another couple. There was just one little problem Dr. Porter had to take care of and that was that your mom was starting to get pregnancy induced high blood pressure. It happens to a lot of women and your mom was just lucky enough to have it. This meant that we all got to meet you a couple of weeks sooner than we were planning. Your mom was told she could be induced on August 1st. She went into the hospital at 3:00 in the morning. She sent me a text letting me know they were there and asked me if I could come on down to the IMC hospital to be with them. I showed up to the hospital around 3:40 am and took a seat. It was early in the morning and the doctor hadn't performed the induction yet. We asked for a Foley bulb and the doctor agreed to give you mom that option. They finally started the labor process at 5:30 am. Your mom was awesome. She had the bulb in with a small drop of pitocin going which would make her body mimic labor. She was tolerating the contractions. Your dad was the best support I have ever seen in the delivery room. He was helping your mom with her breathing during each contraction and reminding her how beautiful and wonderful she was. Your mom showed so much strength, she made me look like a weakling. At 8:52 am, the doctor came in to check your mom, which meant that they were able to remove the Foley bulb and check your mom's dilation and station. Your mom was dilated to 6 cm and effaced 100%. We were all so excited that in only 3 hours your mom was so far along in her labor and still handling things so well. We continued to labor int he room by ourselves with your dad doing most of the coaching. I was mostly helping with knee presses and reminding your mom which areas she needed to relax. Your dad was the real star of the coach show though. At 11:00 am the nurse came back in to see how far your mom had progressed and she was dilated to 76 cm. Your mom was starting to feel the tiredness of working through contractions creep up on her and she asked for an epidural. Your mom got to 7 cm on pitocin without an epidural for 6 hours. I was astounded. You have one very tough mama. The anesthesiologist came in and gave your mom the epidural at 11:30 am and she was able to sleep. She took about a 45 minute nap and then woke up to talk with the numerous family members who arrived to await your arrival. The nurse came back in around 1:40 pm to see if there was any change and you were stationed so high up, your mom wasn't able to dilate much. Your head was not engaged on your mom's cervix yet and we really wanted you to come, but you knew you weren't ready and we are thankful that you weren't. From 2:45 pm to 3:30 pm, we were waiting for you to come down and engage because your mom was dilated to 9 cm. We were told that if you didn't come down by the next time the doctor came to check on your om, he would have to do a cesarean and get you out himself. This is something none of us wanted to do. Your mom and dad worked too hard to get you Earth side already they didn't want to have to have another surgical procedure to get you to take you home. We immediately moved the bed all the way upright and made your mom sit straight up and push you down as much as she could. We were determined to get you Earth side the way your mom wanted to. At this time in the night, I was worried that there was something holding you/her back. So I asked your om what she was most worried about. Your mom decided that she wanted to talk to me about your angel brother Hunter. Wee talked about him for about 30 minutes. Your mom told me about his birth, and the things that led up to to it. Your dad even chimed in and told me a beautiful story about a very good friend of his and your brother. It was beautiful; we all cried and let our emotions hang out on our sleeves for the whole hospital to see. The doctor came back in at 6:00 pm to deliver your mom' fate. Would it be a cesarean or would it be a normal birth for you? He checked her dilation and we were all so excited when the doctor said that your mom was ready to have a baby. I remember looking at at your mom and saying, "You're going to have your baby!" I was crying and couldn't wait to meet you. The doctor got everything set up and ready for your arrival. Your dad took one of your mom's legs and I took the other. She started to push and there was your beautiful little head. At that point, your mom wanted the mirror so she could see you be born. She continued to push very effectively and within 7 minutes, there you were. Doctor Porter placed you on your mom's stomach and we all just had to cry at your beauty. You were the most beautiful thing we had every seen. Your mom was just kissing and loving on you. Your dad was so happy and filled with joy that you were here. He couldn't take his eyes off you or your mother. He was so in love with his two girls. It was wonderful to witness. After you mom had cuddled you for a few minutes, the nurses took you to to their station to give you your shots and eye cream, as well as weigh and measure you. You weighed in at 7 lbs. 7 oz. and 21 inches long. Your Agar's were 8 and 9, which are very good numbers. The highest you can get is 10!! Then they brought you back to your mom and she was ready to nurse you. I taught her how to hold her breast and how to position you and bring you to the breast. You latched right on and suckled beautifully. We were able to introduce you to your grandparents, aunts, uncles, great aunts, and great grandparents. Your mom was so happy to finally have you here she didn't want to stop holding you and she definitely didn't want to let you out of her sight. We were finally moved upstairs to recovery and we were able to just love on you. Like I said before, you changed my life. I have never seen so many people who love a person more than your family loves you, Lizzie. You were the bright rainbow that came into your parents stormy lives, and brought the sunshine with you. I will never forget the way you looked and the way your daddy looked at you when you were born. I will never be able to forget the tears of happiness running down your mom's face when she finally got to hold you in her arms, and I will never forget how much I fell in love with you. The moment your mom asked if I wanted to hold you, I was so honored. Your light radiated into my heart and made me realize that birth work is where I was meant to be. Lizzie, you will always know how much your family loves you, and I hope you will always know how much your doula loves you!!!

"Birth matters and I believe the way a child is brought into the world has an important impact on the rest of life. Helping with that transition is an honor."- Anjil Aurora Hinman

I am grateful for every birth I witness, but yours is one of my favorites."



This was by far, one of the most beautiful, spiritual, transforming experiences of my life. I'm so thankful to my Heavenly Father for my sweet daughter, my husband, my doula, my doctor, the nurses, everyone who helped get my sweet girl here safely. I can't believe it's been a year already, but it's been the best year of my life.

Happy Birthday baby girl, I hope you always remember what a special, beautiful, wonderful person you are!!

0 comments: